At the beginning of 2010 I set the resolution of reading a book a week for the entire year to renew my passion of reading. While I did not completely attain this goal - I did read more books than weeks in the year so I feel overall it was a success. I have had many people ask if I had kept a list of what I read and if it was going to be posted. I had not but decided it was a worthwhile endeavor so instead of a book this last week, I complied the list. The order is loosely based from last to first but not completely. I am posting originally in facebook than copy/paste in a couple different formats, so if it looks weird in other formats than I apologize. (FYI a _ at the beginning and end of a title counts as underline in FB.) I don't recommend every book I read and some I LOVED! The following symbols will denote a very loose recommendation system: * good read **very good read <3 I loved it -READ IT! #audioversion. At the end a few books I love that I read prior to the beginning of the year. So here goes......
Non-Fiction
1. _Food Politics: What Everyone Needs to Know_ by Robert Paarlberg
2. _A Big Little Life: A Memior of a Joyful Dog_ by Dean Koontz *
3. _Beyond the Rat Race_ by Arthur Gish *
4. _The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything_ By Ken Robinson, Ph.D w/ Lau Aronica **
5. _The Geography of Bliss_ by Eric Weiner
6. _Beyond the Board_ by Doug Brown #
7. _Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating_ by Jane Goodall w/ Gary McAvoy & Gail Hudson **
8. _Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking_ by Malcolm Gladwell **
9. _The 50 Best Ways to Simplify Your Life_ by Pattric Fannanig(can't read my writing here - not certain about this spelling) & Heather arras Mitchner
10. _The Story of Stuff_ by Annie Leonard **
11. _Life on the Mississippi_ by Mark Twain * #
12. _Leavings: Poems_ by Wendell Berry <3 (Not sure where poetry fits category wise but WB's poems seem non-fiction like.)
13. _Shift Your Habits: Save Money, Save the Planet_ by Elizabeth Rogers
14. _Possom Living: How to Live Well w/o a job & with (almost) no Money_ by Dolley Freed
15. _Everthing I Need to Know I Learned from Children's Books: Life Lessons from Notable People in All Walks of Life_ by Anita Silvey <3
16. _Loot: The Battle over Stolen Treasures of the Ancient World_ by Sharon Waxman **
17. _The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean my Closet, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, & Generally Have More Fun_ by Gretchen Rubin <3
18. _I Am America (and So Can You!)_ by Stephan Colbert **
19. _Animals Make Us Human_ by Temple Grandin & Catherine Johnson ** #
20. _How Starbucks Saved my Life: A Son of Privelage Learns to Live Like Everyone Else_ by Michael Gates Gill **
21. _Mennonite in a Little Black Dress_ by Rhoda Janzen
22. _Give a Little: How Your Small Donations can Transform our World_ by Wendy Smith <3
23. _Have a Little Faith_ by Mitch Albom **
24. _Eating Animals_ by Jonathan Safron Foer **
25. _Making Mummies Dance: Inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art_ by Thomas Hoving
26. _A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders & Their Quest to See it All_ by Luke Dempsey <3
27. _See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers_ by Roxanna Elden *
Now to my perfered reading style, FICTION
1. _Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close_ by Jonathan Safron Foer * #
2. _Gourmet Rhapsody_ by Muriel Barberry
3. _ The Knitting Circle_ by Ann Hood *
4. _Faithful Place_ by Tana French ** #
5. _Bad Blood_ by John Sandford
6. _Her Fearful Symmetry_ by Audrey Niffenegger #
7. _Ape House_ by Sara Gruen
8. _ Wicked Appetite_ by Janet Evanovich <3
9. _Jane Slayre_ by Charlotte Bronte & Sherri Browning Erwin
10. _Prayers for Sale_ by Sandra Dallas **
11. _The Bonesetter's Daughter_ by Amy Tan * #
12. _The Help_ by Kathryn Stockett *
13. _The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner_ Stephanie Meyer <3
14. _The Elegance of the Hedgehog_ by Muriel Barberry <3
15. _An Unaccustomed Earth_ by Jhumpa Lahiri ** #
16. _The Lost Recipe of Happiness_ by Barbara O'Neal *
17. _Marker_ by Robin Cook *
18-38. The entire Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich <3 (Great guilty pleasure reads!)
39. _Dead Watch_ by John Sandford **
40. _Every Last One_ by Anne Quindlen <3
41. _Oh My Stars_ by Lorna Landrik <3
42. _The Puzzle Lady vs. Sudoku Lady_ by Parnell Hall
43. _The Shadow of you Smile_ by Mary Higgins Clark *
44. _ish_ by Peter Reynolds <3, _Oh, the Places You Go_ by Dr. Suess <3, _Where ther Once There Was a Woods_ by Denise Flemming <3
45. _Beatrice & Virgil_ by Yann Martel *
46. _Run_ by Ann Patchett <3
47. _Oolong Dead_ by Laura Childs
48. _The Woods_ by Harlan Coben <3
49. _ Jane Eyre_ by Charlotte Bronte <3
50 _Rough Country_ by John Sandford *
51. _The House of Sand & Fog_ by Andre Dubas III
52. _Heat Lightning_ by John Sandford <3
53. _Loving Frank_ by Nancy Horan
54. _Take My Heart_ by Mary Higgins Clark *
I also read a lot of Amanda Quick/Jayne Krentz - guilty pleasures that I didn't count in the list because so simple of reads.
Whew - obviously I love a lot more fiction!
Other Selections to Consider
1. Some of my guilty pleasures are of course Mary Higgins Clark - can't go wrong there
2. I have enjoyed the Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford - all are listed above except for the first _Dark of the Mood_ which I listened to the audio version - very good
3. _Water for Elephants_ by Sara Gruen - I love this book
4. _Angry Housewives Eating BonBons_ by Lorna Lardvik enjoyable lighter read
5. Classics to revisit (on the female side) _My Antonia_ by Willa Cather, _Pride & Prejudice_ by Jane Austen, _Gone with the Wind_ by Margaret Mitchell (and of course _Jane Eyre_)
6. _The Life of Pi_ by Yann Martel
Over 81 books in one year! Yeah! I hope you enjoyed this list and go get reading
No comments:
Post a Comment