Oh, I loved this book. To me it is a love story. Not your traditional boy meets girl love story (and no boy meets boy or girl meets girl). This is a story of a man and his love of several things, birding, friendship, America, and his daughters. All of this is told through anecdotes of birding. Dempsey has a witty and comical way of tying all these threads together. He stumbled into the habit of birding through the encouragement of his friends Don and Donna Graffati. The three of them make several bird specific trips through the country. Throughout the story, Dempsey gives examples of how human pursuits are jeopardizing bird species. However, this is not one of those bang you in the head ecobooks, it is more subtly told. I thoroughly enjoyed this. I know it is not the type of book everyone would enjoy (I have some friends who won't touch non-fiction at all!) but if you can handle fiction, don't let the topic of birding scare you from reading this touching (and downright funny) tale. I laughed out loud on numerous occasions...oh what a read. I am inspired to give birding a go....though not right now...frigid temps keep me inside..brr. I have included a link to Better World Books, a great place to buy book with a conscious!
www.betterworldbooks.com
No comments:
Post a Comment