Sunday, April 19, 2009

TNR photos








Here are some photos of the TNR process. I had two live traps set and covered near the feeding stations. I did not set food out the day before to make the bait more attractive. I used aromatic wet food in the traps. The traps are then covered with breathable fabric so the cats are more likely to go. The second photo is one of a trapped cat. (If you look in the first photo you can see the trap with burlap has been engaged.) The cat on the outside is Rose, she is a feral who has decided to be a tame cat. She was spayed during the first wave of TNR. The second the recovery room set up. I have a crate that is made for cats. I have it in a small room that can be closed off from my pets. Again the crate is kept covered to help keep the comfort of the cat during the recovery. It is important especially after a spay surgery to try and keep the cat comfortable and quiet for 48 hours. This timing really worked out for me. The two days I had her indoors in recovery, it was gray and rainy. However, release day was beautiful and sunny. This cat made a mad dash for her barn. We shall see how long before I see her again. I always have my vet use dissolving stitches so I don't have to worry about that. He also ear tips them while they are out. This is a process of removing the tip of one ear. This may sound cruel to some, however, it is the suggested method for typical TNR methods. It prevents cats from having unnecessary anesthesia and surgery only to find out they have already been trapped. Ear tipping will allow me to see immediately so I could just release the ear tipped cat.


No comments: