


About a month ago, I had my lovely little plot plowed and tilled. Well, as sometimes things go, the time was never available to plant, so the weeds took over. The first photo gives a clue to the weed growth. The second shows my early progress and the volunteer sunflowers that I have decided to leave. The third is the gas tiller that I had planned to use to work up all the weeds, maybe not the greenest option but would have saved time. The final photo: The rickety, old, hand powered plow that is very difficult to use because it has definitely seen its better days years ago. As I am sure you are realizing, sometimes we must use the greenest option by force not choice. I could not for the life of me get the gas powered til to start so I spent an hour and half pushing this horrible contraption back and forth. Now I have three blisters but it is nearly ready to plant, I need to do a cursory raking to pull the weeds out, then planting time. This is apparently not for the faint at heart.
2 comments:
That's a big garden! Kudos to you for taking the time to till it by hand - I probably would have just let the weeds win! We put in a small veggie garden this year - picked our first ripe cherry tomato tonight!
It was a tough battle. I actually started to let the weeds win again before I got the seeds planted. I then remembered this awful adventure in hand tilling and perservered. Hopefully this will encourage me to follow through with weeding all year. It is a large garden, came with the place. Sometimes I wish it were bigger then other times smaller, but usually I am quite happy. I love cherry tomatoes, enjoy!
Post a Comment