Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fresh Produce and Successful Cooking Adventures


I felt I needed to post some good things to counteract the bad bit of "healthy" tasting muffins. So here are some good healthy tasting meals from recent adventures in cooking. The produce in all of these are fresh from farmer's markets or my garden.(There are a few potential exceptions, read on, you'll understand.) The rice/bean mix in the first photo were courtesy of a friend who made too much and gifted me with leftovers. (I love when she does this.) The lettuce is mine, a spicy mesclun mix. The salsa is Newman's Own. Tomatoes are farmer's market. Tortilla (which I toasted) are a whole wheat/flax seed blend. The second meal consisted of more of my lettuce edible flowers from the farmer's market. (If you have not ventured into edible flowers, it is a fun trip.) The cucumbers in the salad and the water (did you catch that, yes, there is a cucumber in the water, try it before you knock it) is another farmer's market find. The strawberries are from my mom who doesn't garden so are either purchased roadside or supermarket (but let's not pass judgement) but yummy. The beets are farmer's market find that have been sauteed in organic olive oil. (Yum, I love beets, again, let's not pass judgement.) The apparent sausage patties are actually morning star fake sausage patties. Not my favorite but still edible. I am working on trying to purchase less prepackaged frozen foods, because they are not the most ecologically sound wise.

No comments: